MPH students in the Generalist track:
Penn's Generalist Track provides the most flexibility in your public health training. Students have the opportunity to either uniquely focus or remain broad in the selection of their elective courses, their Capstone project, and required fieldwork experience.
- Learn more about the competencies of the Generalist Track.
The fourteen course units (14 cu) required for the MPH Generalist Track are described below. Students must take a minimum of 11 cu's under the PUBH prefix.
Core MPH Requirements (9.0 cu)
- PUBH 501 Introduction to Biostatistics
- PUBH 502 Introduction to Principles and Methods of Epidemiology
- PUBH 503 Environmental and Occupational Health
- PUBH 504 Public Health Theories & Frameworks
- PUBH 505 Public Health Policy and Administration
- PUBH 506 Methods for Public Health Practice
- PUBH 507 Public Health Law & Ethics
- PUBH 508 Capstone I
- PUBH 509 Capstone II
Required Fieldwork Experience 125 hours: Students within the Generalist Track will identify (with assistance from MPH program staff and faculty) a practical fieldwork experience that addresses their key public health interests.
Generalist Required Track Electives
All students are required to complete 5.0 cu of elective coursework. A minimum of 2 out of 5 electives must carry the PUBH prefix. One of the PUBH electives must be chosen from the following list:
- PUBH 519 – Foundations of Global Health
- PUBH 521 – Program Evaluation
- PUBH 588 – Leadership Skills in Community Health
- PUBH 604 – Qualitative Methods
- PUBH 605 – Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases
- PUBH 606 – Interpreting Epidemiological Literature to Inform and Influence
- PUBH 607 – Advanced Local Public Health Policymaking
- PUBH 608 – Behavioral Economics
- PUBH 610 – Mathematical Modeling of Infectious Disease
- PUBH 637 – Advocacy and Public Health
Click here to browse a list of PUBH electives.
Click here to browse possible non-PUBH Generalist Track electives.
Capstone Culminating Experience
The Capstone is a culminating experience required for graduation in the Master of Public Health Program. Read more about capstone. Students within the Generalist Track will identify and carry out a Capstone project that addresses their public health interests and learning goals.