One Health Track
Penn's One Health Track offers a curriculum designed specifically for applicants to the interdisciplinary Master of Public Health program who are interested in the intersection between animals, humans, and the environment. Key strengths of this track are the close ties between the MPH program and the School of Veterinary Medicine, who are one of the leaders in the field of One Health. Although this Track was designed for students in the VMD/MPH dual degree program, it is open to all MPH students.
- Learn more about the competencies of the One Health track.
Core MPH Requirements (8.0 CU)
- PUBH 5010 Introduction to Biostatistics
- PUBH 5020 Introduction to Principles and Methods of Epidemiology
- PUBH 5040 Public Health Theories & Frameworks
- PUBH 5050 Public Health Policy and Administration
- PUBH 5060 Methods for Public Health Practice
- PUBH 5070 Public Health Law & Ethics
- PUBH 7080 Capstone I
- PUBH 7090 Capstone II
Required Fieldwork Experience 125 hours: Students within the One Health Track will identify (with assistance from MPH program staff and faculty, as well as staff and faculty in the School of Veterinary Medicine) a practical community-based experience that addresses the tenets of One Health.
Additional competencies specific to specialized knowledge in One Health are acquired through the following courses:
One Health Required Track Electives (2 CU)
All One Health track students must take the following course:
- VPTH550/VPTH650 One Health Study Design
One Health track students must choose a second RTE from the following list of courses:
- PUBH5310 Public Health Nutrition
- PUBH5530 Science and Politics of Food
- VMED607 Veterinary Public Health
- VMED619 Emerging Exotic Diseases
- VSCN657 One Health & Global Food Security
Other Electives (4 CU)
Students in the One Health Track will choose 4 additional cu to make up the full complement of 14 cu for the MPH degree. Note: At least 3 of the 6 courses taken in addition to the Core MPH requirements must have a PUBH prefix.
Capstone Culminating Experience
The Capstone is a culminating experience required for graduation in the Master of Public Health Program. Read more about capstone. Students within the One Health Track will identify and carry out a Capstone project that addresses their key One Health interests and learning goals.